Friday, June 11, 2010

Fun Filled Family Friday

I read the most wonderful blog this morning about a mom who took her daughter to the beach and had a glorious time! It was beautifully written, beautifully illustrated and it inspired me to gather my flock and take them on my own adventure. I haven't been grocery shopping in a while, so we stopped at KFC to make sure we had the makings of a delightful picnic.

With the car smelling of  hot chicken and fries, we wound though the mountain roads of the Blue Ridge Turnpike to find the perfect picnic spot. As we rounded a curve, we came to a construction area where we had to stop and wait behind a line of cars for about half an hour. What a FUN way to start our magical adventure! "Moooooom... how much loooooongeeeeeeerrrrrrrr?" "Why aren't we gooooooooinnnnnngg?"

With the car smelling of slightly colder chicken, fries and diesel fumes, we stopped at the first "scenic overlook" we came to and, starving, jumped out of the car and set up our picnic. We had to wonder why it was called a scenic overlook... it was a field surrounded by trees and we couldn't even see the mountains from it, but it seemed a nice place to set up before we all keeled over from starvation.

We put out our colorful blanket and within about 2 minutes Iraq succeeded in spilling her drink on it. The Skink ran off in one direction and Brandy started drooling on Broadway's arm at the smell of all the food. I stuffed a few pieces of chicken into my mouth and ran off after the Skink after Broadway warned me she might get chigger bites sitting in the long grass. The moment I got The Skink back to the blanket, she ran off again. In the mean time, Broadway and Iraq had a bet going with me as to whether the animals in the adjoining field were horses, or as I thought, mules - so they headed off hoping to prove me wrong as I went running after The Skink.








Brandy was left guarding all the food by her little lonesome... instead of eating it as I was afraid she might, she decided to head off after Iraq and Broadway. What a GREAT dog!!

Yup... mules! Really sweet ones, too :o)


Smart dog - she found some shade!

Yummy strawberry-leopard... My favorite!

Run, Medusa! RUN! The mules want to eat your snakes!
(I did try to brush her hair this morning, but she was not interested!)


So, with the sun beating down on us and the coarse grass tickling our legs, we packed up the food and the blanket, retreated back to the air-conditioned van and drove back down the mountain.

So... it was nowhere near as romantic and magical as that blog I read this morning... but we DID have fun... in a scratchy, sweaty, chigger-bitten sort of way. And if you want to read a romantic, magical blog, you are seriously misled if you think you're going to find it here, so click here instead --- > Enjoying the Small Things

Enjoy!

*

1 comment:

  1. LOL. I think my attempts would have been just at romantic as yours were. Of course, WE are in reality, and other blogs well... sometimes I just wonder. Don't forget though, that your kids will remember this day with you and will have fond memories, even though you might just remember it a bit differently. They all look like they had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.