Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Flashback Tuesday!

I came across a video recently that was made well before the beginning of this blog. The reason it came to my mind is that though Iraq often seems so "normal" to others, they don't see everything that happens in our home. In fact, I think it would make for quite an exciting reality show if our house were to be wired with cameras to show all that other people don't see...

Ya gotta see it to believe it!

So - the video in question was taken the day Iraq turned 5. Children with Aspergers often have a difficult time transitioning from one activity to the next and even the smallest changes can cause them to become upset. It sounds so simple in writing, doesn't it?

So on the morning of Iraq's birthday, my husband and I took time before she got up and set up a table with the cake and all her wrapped presents - it was supposed to be a fun surprise. Here's a hint - some children with Aspergers don't do well with surprises... even good ones! Iraq came out of her room, but as soon as we said we had a surprise for her, she high-tailed it back to her room and refused to come out. (Not exactly "typical" behavior.) We spent quite some time trying to entice her out of her room, and finally resorted to physically dragging her out in hopes once she saw the cake and presents, she would become excited. Of course we wanted to have a video of her reaction to all the pretty presents...

And with no further ado, I present a video of Iraq's 5th birthday morning...


What? Doesn't every 5-year-old express this level of excitement over a table full of presents?

These are the kinds of things that are the "norm" in our house. These are the things other people don't see, and if they do see this - say, in WalMart, they might simply assume our child is misbehaving or having a temper-tantrum over some toy we won't get her.

Of course she is improving somewhat over the years - birthdays have become easier at any rate:


Note that although she has actually walked up close to the table full of presents on her 7th birthday, her body language might suggest she still has some fear it could mysteriously develop giant, robotic lobster claws, grab her and consume her whole.

I consider myself quite lucky that my other two children do not fear presents or birthday parties. Still, Iraq's "quirks" and reactions to things that most every other child takes for granted do take their toll on my sanity at times. Blogging is one great outlet for me, but I do have to be in the mood.

My other outlet? As a person who swore she would not allow any of her children to become addicted to any video games... I have become addicted to an on-line horse game where one interacts with other players to buy, breed and show Hunter/Jumper horses. Gotta laugh! from the time I was a tot, I was wildly passionate about horses. With my life as it is today, there is really no time for me to ride as I would like. Since I don't get out much, the social aspect of the game draws me also. And just look at this little guy I bred during the last breeding season!


HuntAndJump.com: Free Horse Genetics Game


And, Ooooooo - you can click the link and join for FREE! And if you do... I get more stuff, even if you don't play :o)  You have NO idea how much that would mean to me - and my sanity!  LOL!

Yes, folks... the secret to my sanity sits on pixelized ponies! But hey - it's much more fun than pulling my hair out!
(and if only 4 more people sign up, I can get spray to make all my horses SHINY!) Happy, happy, happy!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.