Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Call Me Crazy... Over the edge for Reece's Rainbow

I have to share a cause near and dear to my heart! Reece's Rainbow is an organization that helps people in the U.S. adopt special needs children (primarily those with Down syndrome) from other countries like Estonia, the Ukraine, Serbia and Bulgaria. In these countries, most children born with any kind of "defect" are put into orphanages. At 4-5 years of age, they are carted off to institutions where many die of neglect. Parents generally don't try to keep children with physical or cognitive issues because they have to pay for any of the "defective" child's medical expenses out-of-pocket.

Unfortunately, the institutions and many of the orphanages are underfunded, understaffed and overcrowded. Children with medical issues rarely receive proper medical attention, nourishment or the stimulation they need.

It turns into a vicious cycle where the culture shuns people who are different and places no value in those who have Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, blindness, autism, cleft pallet and other birth defects.

Because my husband and I are not financially able to adopt or send more than $10 to Reece's Rainbow every now and then, I have been looking into new and different ways of raising funds and awareness.

I may have gone off the deep-end, but this week I started a campaign to get ABC's Dancing With The Stars let me come on the show with 100 percent of the profits going to Reece's Rainbow. I realize it's a one in a million chance, but at very least, maybe I can get more people to go to the RR website and help out.

My FaceBook fan page can be found at: Ask ABC to Help a Great Cause! DWTS & *her*

Please spread the word! These beautiful angels all deserve a chance!


For more information, please click Reece's Rainbow

You can also make a donation directly to:
Reece's Rainbow
PO Box 4024
Gaithersburg, MD 20885

Or by credit card at: Show You Care

Most importantly, please spread the word!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.