Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Diet Success Story - The Dukan Diet!

Once upon a time, a long, long, loooooooooong time ago, I was not fat.


And then LIFE happened. It happens to the best of us.


Which is so much better than death happening when you're in your early 40's with 3 kids - 2 of whom have special needs!

Truth be told, death came after me just last May. My big, bad wolf came after in the form of a cardiac arrest, and just to add a tang of irony, he showed up during Mother's Day dinner.

Luckily, I didn't die. More than anything, I wanted to... no... NEEDED to live!

To my credit, I had tried a number of other diets in the past. I was careful and I didn't cheat, but as much as I would huff and puff at the local gym, all too often I ended up hitting a wall - a plateau - and I just couldn't get my weight down.

It's hard when you're a mom. It's hard when there are lots of stresses in your life (see: having 2 special needs children - LOL). It's hard when you spend 2 entire pregnancies in bed and it's hard when your husband brings home Krispy Kreme doughnuts on a regular basis when you're starving! And it's so ridiculously easy to gain weight! (I've always joked that I can look at a picture of a cake and gain 10 lbs!)

While I am quite notorious for annoying the heck out of family and friends by taking hundreds of pictures, I avoided getting on the "business end" of the camera like the plague. I was not comfortable with my weight or my looks. I wouldn't wear a bathing suit in front of anyone who was not immediate family... and only wore one if I absolutely had to. Of course now 20/20 hindsight would suggest that having a few decent "Before" shots might have been nice, but going through the motions of planning out such a shot somehow felt like a set-up for letting myself down once again. Luckily for me, my son snapped a few lovely pictures of my on my sister's horse last August.



Then in late September, 2011, one of my friends shared a picture of herself on a social networking site. It was a good picture. It was a picture that made me want to scratch out her eyeballs and then crawl under a rock (like I could have found one *big* enough to hide my fat butt)! Instead of scratching her eyeballs out, I asked her what she had been doing. She told me she had been on the Dukan diet and had gotten down to her goal weight.

I'll have what she's having!

I started on the Dukan Diet on October 3, 2011. Over the next few months I did my best to get regular exercise by walking for 30 minutes a day, but LIFE kept popping up and throwing hurdles in my way. Stress hurdles. Hurdles that could have easily turned into another 10 lbs of fat on my butt if I had been on any other diet.



Instead, I stayed on the Dukan diet and ate lean turkey and ham, and sugar-free jello and Dukan cheese cake when ever I felt the urge to eat. I was not starving all the time. And even though my youngest daughter was in the hospital for 9 days with a severe case of viral pneumonia... and even though that daughter came home with enough medical equipment to fill most of her room... and even though that daughter needed round-the-clock care for a few more weeks...

I lost weight!

Around the holidays my weight loss slowed a bit, but I was already more than 20 lbs down and I felt better each day. I pumped up my workouts - not because I had to, but because I wanted to! (How weird is that?) I was *in* to working out and I was seeing a person in the mirror that I hadn't seen in far too long.

I'm now down nearly 40 lbs, and I'm still losing! I'm not missing other foods and I'm not starving all the time. I even asked for someone to take my picture so I could share so much less of myself. So I could share my own little fairy tale!

Before - Size 16 pants!                                                                  After - Size 4 jeans!

Updated Photos: (04/20/2012)


Am I keeping the weight off? You be the judge:


That's my story (and my diet), and I'm sticking to it!

*

Helpful links for Dukanistas:


My Dukan Diet - Diet tips and recipes
Dukan Diet US - FaceBook
DukanItOut - recipes and tips
The Dukan Diet - Book
Shiritaki Noodles - Dukan-friendly, low-carb noodle replacement (also comes in rice and other varieties)
Tone your abs, thighs and fanny with the Windsor Pilates 3 DVD set!

*

31 comments:

  1. wow you look AMAZING!! I'll have to try that diet for sure! All that weight lost even with your hands so full. go mama go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! 122??? I don't think I've weighed that since high school! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowowowowowowwow! That is a million shades of amazing. How tall are you? I need that first impetus and it just isn't hitting me yet. I haven't tons to lose - 10 lbs would be great. I am just aware it is slipping on.

    Congratulations to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annicles - I'm only 5' tall. There may be a 1/4 of an inch in there somewhere, but not enough to brag about :o)
      With so little to lose, chances are you could do it in just a few weeks on this diet! There's so much information available on recipes and such online (for free) and I've found it surprisingly easy!

      Delete
  4. Wow. That is exactly where I am at. And I keep telling myself if I could just get down to 140 again I would be happy. I will have to check into this diet. Thanks for sharing.

    Katrina
    Carlene's soon to be momma :)
    www.operationorphannomore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! So funny as I heard about this diet as the holiday's approached us, and even bought a copy for both myself and my mom. Needless to say, I have yet to read it, however your story is inspiration enough to get out there and lose that 20 lbs that I seemed to have "collected" over the past year. Thanks for sharing your story. Also, I hope that the beautiful "skink" is feeling better!
    Raquel, Mom to Noah Bryce, age 5

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, what an inspiration to us all.... it is possible... willpower

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you look amazing. I have been on the diet for a month but keep cheating so I have only lost 4kgs. It's getting me so down. I don't drink much but if I do once a week I loose about 3days as I put on and then it take so long to start loosing again. Did you ever cheat ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nats - You can't cheat on this diet. The whole purpose of the diet is to get your body into ketosis - a state in which your body is not receiving carbs / sugar and therefore your body must burn your stores of fat. It generally takes about 3 days to get into ketosis. On top of that, it takes at least a week to break the body's addictions to carbs and sugar.

      If you cheat, you not only throw your body out of ketosis, thus necessitating that you not only start over, but you also feed addictions that you then must break again. If you are a person who can not diet without cheating, you need to do Jenny Craig or another, less affective diet.

      All diets take work, but the work is worth it!! To answer your question, no - I never cheat. It's not worth it to me to be set back for nearly a week just because I want to eat something not on the diet. I can assure you - - NOTHING in the world tastes better than healthy feels! Besides that, once you get down to your goal weight, you CAN have those yummy things for your bi-weekly cheat meals :)

      This diet can work miracles if you let it.

      Delete
    2. Wise words - thanks for those, I needed them. In a similar position to Nats - lost 15lbs in 3 weeks by sticking to it religiously, then have mucked around and put 5lbs back on over the last 5 weeks. Came looking for some inspiration this morning to get me back on track - I think you've done the trick!! Waiting for my oatbran galette to settle before I go off for a run!! Target weight here I come...

      Delete
  8. Wow you look amazing. I have been at it for 1 month but keep cheating about once a week. Did you ever cheat. I have only lost 4kgs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow very inspirational story, I have done 4 days of attack and have a long way to go, but stories like yours keep me focused and determined to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you! Ive been on this diet for 5 weeks now and have lost 8 kilos :)
    its soooo good. most of the people who want to lose weight in my work place have started on it too
    I love that you dont have to calorie count and its super motivating when you drop the weight so fast.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've bookmarked your blog and will revist everytime I feel like giving up! good bye carbs (the kiss of death), hello fun recipies and all those pants that don't pull up my behind anymore

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there,

    I just saw your pictures over at FB and was googling Dukan Diet Success Stories 2012 and your blog was at the top! Anyway, did you use the UK book or the US book? I have owned the UK version for a couple of years now and wonder if I should bother getting the US edition?

    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda - I have the US book, but I actually found most of my information on line :)

      Delete
  13. Just finished day three of this diet and after reading your story it has just given me more motivation to stick with it. I had a tough day with a nasty headache and a craving for French fries, but I didn't cheat -yay!-even had dinner at a restaurant and ate only what I was allowed to. For the first time in a long time, I think this may be the one diet that is going to work for me! Thanks for sharing your inspiring story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look fantastic! i just bought the book yesterday as i was finding it hard to lose those last 5 kilos gained from my second child. just jumped on line to have a look at some success stories to get me motivated and i couldnt have found a more inspiring one! im looking forward to losing those last kilos and getting into a nice dress just in time for summer in australia! im really excited now to see how fast it works ive been on jenny craig for a while and i think my body just got too use to the food, time for a change and a good kick start to something new and that can help me maintain my goal weight. thank you for your story and also showing us how hard life can be for some off us but we can still do it with commitment

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wife and I just bought the book and we are both participating in this together. Congrats on the huge amount of weight loss. Your amount of weight lossed to date is very impressive. I am hoping to lose about 25 to 30lbs in about 4 to 5 months. I have put about 40lbs of weight on since high school and would like to lose 75 % of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am starting this diet in two days time - yes, a New Year's resolution! I was looking for success stories and have the UK book. You have inspired me to just "get on with it" and motivate that weight away! Thanks for your website. I will let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an awesome story. Good for you and you look amazing! Your children are precious : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi First of all u look amazing ..
    Next my question to u is lots of sites mention being in ketosis for long time is dangerous to kidneys so did u face any issue though not major even in minor form while following .As you had been doing this for more than a yr how about the cheat meals ? and what if we fail once or deviate from the diet ???

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm starting my diet today!! I'm so excited!! You inspired me. I know how busy your life must be because my life is similar. I figured if you can do it I can. Thanks Leigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look fantastic. I am at 36lbs but not ready to take picture yet. It will be nice to feel comfortable to let someone take a picture with myself and daughters. Keep up the good work you deserve an award.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful inspiring post! Go momma! You look beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am beginning the Dukan diet myself. I am 44 at 170 lbs with a 4 year old with Autism so I understand about life getting in the way. But due to health issues, I have got to get healthy to be around for my son. Thank you for the motivation. I see that this can be done regardless of what is going on in life. Thank you so much. ~ South Carolina Mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. Im on the second phase and following it to a tee. Did you see most of the weightloss in the 2nd phase? I've seen minimal results so far. I'm on day 7 and feel good. I am in ketosis but im thinking since I only have 20 lbs to lose it might take me longer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi , id just like to say you look terrific well done, ive been on dukan for 2weeks attack phase and love it.Ive lost 7kgs so far bit still another 15ks to go.I havent felt this good in years.But will do it as looking at your pics keep me focused.You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i followed the 2 first phases and i lost 8 kg, but for 3 months i am in the same weight as i was before i started it. i will start it all over again. thank u

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.