Friday, February 10, 2012

In Which The Skink Went to the Hospital, Pawpaw Went to Heaven and the Family Went on a Journey

And what a couple of weeks it's been! So you know how I posted before that The Skink's lungs weren't clear at her last check up? About a week later she spiked a fever of 104. This after laughing, playing and apparently feeling fine for most of the day. There might have been little signs that we missed - it can be hard to see them because the kid is always so up-beat and happy.

So - back to the ER we went where the x-ray showed cloudiness in both sides of the lungs. She was admitted and went back to see some of the good friends we made during our last visit in November. Any more of these little episodes  and we'll come back to find reserved parking and a room with The Skink's name over the door.


This time The Skink stayed from Sunday, January 29th through Thursday, February 2nd. Just long enough for her to get her degree as a respiratory therapist.






To welcome her home, I created a portrait of her best friend, Cow. Moo.


It's a good thing I got the practice with my art tablet, because on Friday morning we got word that my father-in-law had passed away. You know - not like we had enough stress to deal with or anything.

I completed this portrait of my sweet father-in-law prior to our Tuesday a.m. departure for the funeral services in Chesapeake, VA.


Of course The Skink had been released from the hospital on oxygen, and must have 4 breathing treatments each day. We got a larger (new-to-us) car - a '95 Suburban, and got creative...


Right up until our creativity melted an adapter and almost started a fire. So instead of finishing her breathing treatment, The Skink made do with an iPod and Cheerios.


The Visitation was held on Tuesday evening and the moon was kind enough to dress up for the occasion. I thought it looked lovely!


Iraq and cousin... we'll call her "Dora" because she bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain cartoon character... said "goodbye" to their PawPaw.

My little part of the family arrived early as Iraq generally needs more time to adjust to new situations and surroundings than most. She sobbed uncontrollably for the first hour and spent the second hour tucking notes and artwork into her grandfather's jacket, rearranging his hair and moving his arms around.

Personally I'm a bit uncomfortable with the whole corpse-thing. To me it's kind of like a giant cicada shell... just something left behind when the important part has moved on. I didn't get too close. Just close enough to see that someone had put about 3 oz. of makeup on the body, including cotton-candy-pink lipstick. No - decorated cicada shells are not my thing.


I didn't bring my camera to the Wednesday funeral, but afterward we went to a family-member's house to enjoy the company of tons of wonderful extended family members. Didn't The Skink look cute in her fancy dress?



On Wednesday evening we spent time with my husband's mother's side of the family. We went to the Cracker Barrel... it was the perfect place to enjoy some real family  bonding!


The girls got checkers lessons from their late grandmother's step-brother...


And everybody gathered around to witness the duel.


We were very pleased to discover that Cracker Barrel has a "Low Carb" menu! When my steak arrived, The Skink very kindly offered to cut it up for me.





Thursday morning we went back out to the cemetery for one last visit before our 5-hour drive back home.



This is "Dora's" little sister, "Boots." Isn't she the cutest little thing?


So that is my very abbreviated account of the past couple of weeks. Perhaps I'll fill in some of the details of traveling with an oxygen machine, juggling breathing treatments and how both the hubby and myself were able to stay on our diets throughout the stress and insanity...

...but then, perhaps I won't because I will have fallen asleep, and goodness knows more interesting things will happen tomorrow that I will need to write about.


*

2 comments:

  1. Wow, now that's a week. Love the portraits!! Sorry for your loss of PawPaw. Keep being amazing, I know you will!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad to see that Skink is feeling better. Hopefully, you will have a quiet couple of weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.