Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Just Your Average Perfection

'Tis the season to post pictures of pumpkin patch abundance...

But unfortunately I can't afford the admission fees to any of the pumpkin patches within driving distance (nor can I really afford the gas required by my 17-year-old Suburban to get to any pumpkin patches as the closest is apparently about 50 miles away).

But who am I to allow silly little details like those get in my way? On Sunday morning I called my awesome neighbor and asked if she had any cute neutrals to dress her little one in. I showered and dressed my own girls (yeah - for some reason my 17-year-old son wasn't interested in having his yearly pumpkin patch picture done) and we piled into my car to seek out the "perfect," pumpkin-filled backdrop.

And by "perfect," I mean something without too much garbage... or a landfill... 'cause I'm picky like that!

You know - like trading in "The Great Pumpkin" for "The Totally Average Pumpkin That Happens to Be FREE."

But you know what? You don't have to keep up with the Jones' (or anyone else for that matter) to have a lot of fun and get some really cute seasonal photos! I so often hear or read of someone going over the details of finding the perfect pumpkin patch and dressing the children in the perfect clothes and all the perfection that was their day.

Well - that's great. I'm happy for them and all their perfect glory, but you know what? My life isn't perfect, and I'm perfectly fine with that! So we sought out free places and made the most of them.

So these were some of the shots from the day's impromptu shoot: 



(The above were taken at our local Southern States Feed Store where I regularly buy chicken feed. They were closed but had kindly left some pumpkins and flowers out for our use. Yup - Southern States... it's like Macy's... for rednecks.)

















(And these pictures... they were taken at an itty-bitty little park between some train tracks and a warehouse at the edge of the old part of town - Just down from the Southern States!)

And lookee here! We found us a real pumpkin patch...



 

At WalMart!


Yup - smack dab in the very front of the store. 

Sure, we got some looks from a few people. Most of them were probably thinking what a great idea we had   :D






And then do you know where we went??









Yes - this is the most perfect place of all! It's right on the property where our rental house (and my neighbor's rental cabin) is. We took our WalMart pumpkins and set them up in front of the barn. 

We had a wonderful time, even though The Skink had a melt down and Iraq almost had a melt down. Even though my neighbor's kid tried to escape underneath that old train in the little old park and my neighbor had to crawl under the train to get her... and I was smart-a$$ enough to take pictures the whole time.

We spent a few dollars on cheap pumpkins and that was it.

It's not about having a perfect life and going the perfect place. It's about making the best of what you already have...

But that's just one woman's opinion!

Happy Fall, Y'all!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your photos!!! What a clever idea...your girls are absolutely precious!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.