Friday, March 30, 2012

Dear Snarky Down Syndrome Community

Dear Snarky Groups Within the Down Syndrome Community,
You know who you are.

(And if the post title isn't enough to get you fired up, wait until you read the rest of what I'm going to write about you.)

As many of you know, a certain blogger-mommy in our community has a new book coming out. This fact combined with her already prevalent popularity apparently means she is now up for public target practice, so get your slings, your arrows, your knives, spears and firearms and join us all on any social networking site to participate in the hunt!

It'll be like our own Down syndrome community version of The Hunger Games.

And to what end?

We've all seen it before. It's not just this particular blogger, this particular book or this particular time. We've seen it on hundreds of forums and in the comments sections of news articles, small and large. We've seen people of all faiths, colors and all walks of life become the Target of the Day for our community as a whole.

Why?

Well, among the comments I've seen (as they multiply like genetically enhanced rats) on a variety of different venues in the last 48 hours, people are pointing out every possible reason they don't (or do) like this person, her lifestyle and her book.

I have news for you. You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of  the time...  And YOU, Down syndrome community... you represent ALL of the people of a community which shares the bond, troubles and privileges of raising a child with Down syndrome.

YOU can not be pleased ALL of the time.

Some things will please you, and some things will make you angry, sad or resentful.  I see some people out there saying things to the effect of, "When I see something I don't agree with or don't like, I'm not one to keep my mouth shut. It's my RIGHT to express myself and my point of view!"

Well GOOD FOR YOU!

In the U.S. you DO have First Amendment Rights which include the Freedom of Speech and the Freedom of Religion. And guess what? So do the people who still throw around the word RETARD as an offensive term. Oh yeah - I know "It's not the same thing!" But see... it is.

Within the Down syndrome community we understand that "Retard" is a word that is offensive to our loved ones. By allowing the perpetuation of the word throughout our society, we allow our children to become targets. So we spread the word to end the word... we don't want our children to be bullied!

You see, a bully is someone who targets another person. Wikipedia says the following about bullying:

"Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power. It can include verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability. The "imbalance of power" may be social power and/or physical power. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "target".

"Bullying consists of three basic types of abuse – emotional, verbal, and physical. It typically involves subtle methods of coercion such as intimidation. Bullying can be defined in many different ways. The UK currently has no legal definition of bullying, while some U.S. states have laws against it.
Bullying ranges from simple one-on-one bullying to more complex bullying in which the bully may have one or more 'lieutenants' who may seem to be willing to assist the primary bully in his bullying activities. Bullying in school and the workplace is also referred to as peer abuse. 

Bullying can occur in any context in which human beings interact with each other. This includes school, church, family, the workplace, home, and neighborhoods. Bullying can exist between social groups, social classes, and even between countries (see jingoism). In fact, on an international scale, perceived or real imbalances of power between nations, in both economic systems and in treaty systems, are often cited as some of the primary causes of both World War I and World War II."


Who among you remembers high school? Do you remember that time you wore that sweater, or those jeans, or said that thing you said or did that thing you did... and suddenly you were the center of gossip or at the butt-end of nasty comments. Remember when that group of other students totally bashed you for it? They teased you or said snarky things about that thing you wore or said or did... and do you remember HOW YOU FELT?

You see, you did, said or wore something that they didn't like, agree with or that they felt didn't represent them. HOW DARE YOU! Because you live you life for them, don't you? Well... don't you?

Do you measure every thing you do, everything you say or write or think, for the sole purpose of pleasing EVERYBODY - - everybody ALL OF THE TIME?

I certainly hope not!

Each and every one of you is a completely unique individual with your own memories, your own experiences and your own opinions. Because you have First Amendment Rights, you can go to whatever church you want (or not), you can choose to be a party animal, you can choose to be messy or clean, you can choose to be a PTA member or a recluse or wear those jeans that everybody would have laughed at in high school.

If you want to, you can write your own book. You can present your life and your family in any way you choose... but no matter what YOU do, YOU will not make everybody happy all of the time.

And you know what else?                IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!

Angelina Jolie has adopted children from a number of different countries. Does that mean she represents ALL people who adopt internationally? Oh, hell no!

So why are so many of you worried about this one person in our own community who is a blogger, photographer and author... why are you worried about her representing YOU? Let me repeat: IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!

While she may be garnering publicity as a parent of a child with Down syndrome, do you really think the world at large is going to assume we are all just like her? Unless you assume all people who adopt internationally live the same way Angelina Jolie does, then you have nothing to worry about!

OK - so YOU didn't vote for this person to be popular. Well O! M! G!

I didn't vote for our current president, but you know what? I don't always get what I want! The world doesn't revolve around me, my life style, my choice to leave dishes in the sink...

It's one thing to say, "Huh - well, that person is a very different person than I am." It's a very different thing to point out all of the things you don't like about a person in a public manner! To me, one of the craziest things people complained about in regards to this particular person is how "perfect" she seems. REALLY? The horror that someone would do that! Because certainly YOU have never tried to look a certain way for the benefit of other people's opinions of you! I mean - why even bother to do the dishes or laundry, to shower or wear makeup... or clothes... because certainly YOU don't care what other people think about you, right?

So you know what? Go ahead! Be as snarky as you want - just like those kids who once teased you to tears. Go ahead and be a BULLY. But don't come crying to the rest of the Down syndrome community (because there are many of us who choose to be supportive of, and nice to each other) when someone uses the word "Retard" in their status update.

Come on people! Lets get over ourselves for once. You don't have to agree with someone or like someone... there is no law saying you have to like a certain book... but by making a person a target and publicly pointing out the things YOU don't like about them, you are NO better than any other bully... or than people who use the word "Retard."


Oh - and I don't expect you all to love me or the opinions I have expressed in this post! You know why? Because I have seen the hate that some of you are capable of. Haters, Trolls... what ever you want to call it...

Someday you'll understand...

The people who feel the need to pick apart the faults of others are generally the ones who aren't strong enough to work on their own faults.

And do you think picking on another person's shortcomings (perceived or real) makes you look, better, smarter, cooler??

No. It makes you look like an asshat! And while you may say you don't want the blogger in question to represent YOU, the rest of us certainly wouldn't pick an asshat over her. Go ahead. Chew on that for a while!

And if you want to "get in on the fun" and be a part of one of these target practice sessions with your friends?? You know damn well that all you have to do is gather a little of your own popularity... and you will be the next target!



*

18 comments:

  1. Amen sister! Thanks for taking the time to write this post. It was much needed. It really is nothing more than bullying and it needs to be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :)

    LOVE reading about your kids and really enjoyed watching the Skink read!

    'Lucy'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the courage, insight and gracious spirit on board to share such a post. (This coming from that over-protective Poppa who now seems to share that t-shirt with the target printed on it). I can remember, when her tiny blog began to become viral, hearing my daughter's call to tell me she was shutting it down--that she didn't sign up for this--that she didn't know enough, hadn't lived enough, wasn't strong enough to be any "voice" in a community she had just been dropped off in. I then read her some of the legion of comments that told her their hearts had been stretched by her story, that they now felt different about these precious children, that they were encouraged to see someone determined not to be "defined" by one thread in the fabric of their life. I urged her to stay the course. I hadn't anticipated her greatest hurters, her most insidious energy-sappers would be other moms in the "community" who didn't think she was "doing it right," or who thought her lifestyle of enjoying fun fashion, throwing fun theme parties, finding joy in a wonderful "net" of friends was no longer to be continued. They found her friends too pretty, her children too well dressed (if they only knew the second hand stores she visits, the ugly Target socks she buys on clearance and cuts the feet off to make fun "leggins" and the funky gifts others give the girls), and her life too privileged (which, for us who know her is so laughable--someone even wrote that she has a housekeeper...if so, she is not doing a good job and is buried under a stack of clothes in the laundry room). Yes, you nailed it. Snarky attracts snarky and there are pools of the pus out there...but I found your entry refreshing and wish you and your children lived next door. It's all good...I always think, I can walk away from those attitudes and that viewpoint--those people can't, it stays with them forever. Thank you for this post! You are real and you get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rik- I thought you might show up here! I was told the other day that I was "just like her Poppa" and I was called "The Nice Police". Little did she know she was giving me compliments! This all coming from a pillar in the Christian community of bloggers- all while she attacks your daughter simply because she disagrees with her. And then all of her little Christian followers came after me too. All I did was ask for a little respect to be used when talking about a fellow DS mama. I was raised in a Christian home, that's not at all how I was taught to treat people!

      Delete
  4. Yep, totally agree. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND! Kudos to you, Leigh, for not using her name just to get hits on your blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like this little corner of "the community." I think I will build here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rik - You are more than welcome in this little corner of the community, and you will be loved here!

      Normally I don't go about creating new body orifices for people... I prefer to make people laugh.

      Yet: Shouldn't the prime directive of the Down syndrome community be teaching others about accepting differences?? How can we work toward that goal if we pick on each other?

      No matter what face any of us choose to show to our community, someone, somewhere will find something wrong with it. Something *they* don't like about it... all the while failing to see that it's not about them. What a self-centered community we have become when we can pick on somebody for being "too perfect."

      I was bullied to bits when I was younger. With 2 kids with special needs I know I will have to take a stand against bullying for them at some point. And bullying someone for doing nothing more than being creative, interesting, and (OMG) writing a book? I won't stand idly by and watch!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting this today. I was trying to make this a point as I was commenting on a thread the past few days. I went back and read a blog post I had written about Kelle the day her article came out in Parents http://sarahely8989.blogspot.com/2010/10/birth-storyrevistedagain.html. I think it says it best. What ever our differences, we are all united by that one small fact that our children share in a perfect set of chromosomes. We all need to start taking more ques from our kiddos who rarely show anything other than unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Joyce! If we all stood together, would could accomplish so much.

      Delete
  8. You have encouraged me today. It is when we take our eyes off the wonder of the little miracles in front of us and start measuring one another--everyone loses. And a larger world is watching. I have been so touched by those who have no family connection with Down syndrome or any other distinction our children may arrive with who have written comments saying their hearts have been stretched open, their thinking is different, their awareness has grown. I only hope they don't google around to find conversations and voices that will sadly distract them from the goal we all share to make this world more embracing and understanding of differences. It should begin with these courageous moms who so need sisters who stand with them instead of setting snares to try to bring them down. Thank you for your open hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No honestly Leigh, tell us what you really think!! I loved your post. I wish people would stop comparing and just enjoy their lives, their situations and their children. We can do so much more when we stick together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love your words. I wish people would stop comparing and just enjoy their lives, their situations and their children. Amen, sister!

      Delete
  10. Wow, I had no idea this was happening but I'm not surprised. It seems everyone wants an award so when someone else gets noticed the claws come out. So silly and unproductive. Together is better. We will never get out of the dark ages until we come together on Respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting this! I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way about some of the people in our Down Syndrome Community. Rather than being so quick to criticize other people, we above all should try to work together. Our Down Syndrome children and families deserve nothing less than that, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. Made me reevaluate some stuff, and made me smile. We are family. Whether we like it or not. And at the end of the day, family looks out for each other in a way we have not done over this. I see sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally - looking back I think there are very few of us (if any) who can honestly say we've *never* said anything negative about another person. It's human nature to want to "belong" and (especially when we are younger) sometimes we do things along side other people that we're not proud of.

      The ability to take a good look at ourselves and see what impact we have on others... and make changes if it isn't a *good* impact... that is a very noble thing! Some weaker people with low self esteem may never be able to get out of those kids of habits, because they somehow get a sense of belonging when they join others in this kind of harassment and bullying. While we don't have to cross those people off our friends list, we also don't need to buy into the toxicity they are selling, or perpetuate it in any way. WE are better than that :)

      I've received numerous comments on this blog on FB and privately... the sometimes too-silent majority - the good and wonderful part of our Down syndrome community... there are lots of us. We will be capable of so much if we can keep our group strong - inside and out!

      Delete
  13. So nice to read such a refreshing post! Thanks for sharing, honestly, and without self-serving intentions your view point on this topic! I find it interesting, frustrating, and still difficult to believe that our DS community can act so disjointed and aggressive towards our own members, not just on this topic but in other ways as well! It seems that it is hard to remember that we really are all working toward the same goals.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.