Yesterday I took Broadway and Iraq to Target during The Skink's nap time. Daddy doesn't care much for shopping, so he was more than happy to be the assigned baby-sitter!
All 3 kids needed new shoes for school, and The Skink needed her first full-size back-pack (and I figured she probably trusted me enough to choose one for her). Iraq found some shoes rather easily. She has always worn either slip-on shoes or the ones with Velcro closures. Up until now she has had little interest in learning to tie her shoes (this is one of those fine-motor coordination things that some kids in the autism spectrum have a hard time learning). Well - she found some shoes she just HAD to have, and guess what? They have real LACES! She couldn't have been more proud... and I couldn't have been more nervous about the upcoming tie-your-shoes-lessons!
When we got home, The Skink (now awake from her nap) was presented with her brand-new Hello Kitty back-pack (thank-goodness the thing was on sale). She was so excited about it, she wore it the whole evening.
And the good news is that if she ever gets tired of wearing it, we can just put her inside of it, zip it up and carry her about. Yes - - it IS as big as she is :)
Now... notice what is going on in the background...
I sat with Iraq and worked on shoe-tying for a while. Just when I started feeling a little frustrated and like we were going nowhere fast, Broadway stepped in and said, "Mom, let me try. I remember learning to tie my shoes... I bet you don't."
He had a point!
How cute is that? By the end of nearly 40 minutes, Iraq had successfully tied her shoe once! Yay!!
Unfortunately by this morning, poor Iraq had forgotten what she had learned, and was running about with her laces undone. Yes - she learned that doing that was not such a great idea when she stepped on a lace and fell. Perhaps I can sweet talk Broadway into a few more lessons for Iraq... I hope!
Also, one of the other moms in the blogosphere has proposed "Me Time Tuesday." With any luck I'll be reporting on my Me-Time adventures once the kids are in school. Now to figure out what to do!
*







Okay, funny story -
ReplyDeleteWay before anyone diagnosed me with Asperger's, I entered Kindergarten. I had a 7th grade reading level and a memory for historical facts that could rival a professor's - but could not tie my shoes.
Meaning - I knew every president from Washington to Reagan (AND their first ladies - in order), and was reading Judy Blume during naptime, but I COULD NOT tie my shoes.
So Iraq is not alone. They sent me home with a cardboard shoe with (I will never forget this) loud ass orange laces. I learned to tie it quick so I wouldn't have to carry the ugly thing around with me forever.
Now, if I could only remember how to tie my boyfriend's tie. :)