My youngest is now becoming quite good at playing dress-up... and un-dress-up. Of course this is a noteworthy skill that we should help develop and nurture, right? Except during nap time.
It's not the first time this has happened. Honestly, on most days I either change The Skink into those onsie-zip-up jammies or make sure she's in jeans with a belt (she can't yet get out of a belt). Today she was so sleepy I just put her in bed in her little sweat-pants and onsie shirt. I paid extra close attention to the monitor to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I missed something.
Within a few minutes of hearing The Skink stir from her nap, I went up to get her. Upon opening the door, I realized she must have been awake for at least a little while... quietly playing... playing with...
Aaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!
It wasn't brown play-doh, but it was being used in just the same manner. It had been squished back and forth between the fingers, used to finger-paint the bedclothes, made into a prized sculpture and it was...
everywhere!
Making matters even more interesting, I suffer from migraines and today's was a tenacious one. I take Imitrex - a medication I certainly could not survive without! It does a lot to help the throbbing, unbearable head pain, but when I have a migraine I also develop a heightened sense of smell and nausea... Imitrex doesn't help those, and neither does finding one's tot covered in... uh... you know.
I survived. She survived. I sterilized her in an almost too-warm bath laced with enough soap to wash a small elephant. I scrubbed and rinsed and let out all the water and then gave her a shower and washed her again...
I love her for her creativity. For her willingness to experiment and find ways to play with the most unusual of things, but I didn't love the way I found her today! I got her all cleaned up, but if only I could find a way of getting her to do the laundry!!!
I'm sure you'll appreciate the absence of a photo for this blog. Trust me!
Amelia once, at 18 months or 2, had a nasty case of the runs. NONSTOP. Super smart mommy decided to put her in the play pen and go to the bathroom herself.
ReplyDeleteThe MESH playpen. And she made mudpies with it.
Yep that was a nasty one to clean since she was too old for a new (expensive) playpen and I still needed to use it. After removing poop with wippees, and a bath, it took me 2 hours and a bottle of white vinegar. Thankfully after that last poop, she, well, pooped out!
The poop, i mean, things we deal with...
mom-blog
My oldest went thru a phase where she would do this to my husband almost everyday. He finally resorted to duct tape. He would duct tape her diaper on at naptime so that she could not get it off. It gave him the extra minutes needed between when she woke up and when he realized that she was awake.
ReplyDeleteDuct tape... a tool with so many possible uses! We may try that - LOL! Right now we are using safety pins to prevent the zipper from the onsie-PJ's from being unzipped. It's working for now, but we'll be keeping the duct tape in easy reach!!
ReplyDelete