Saturday, March 31, 2012

Your Left, Your Left, Your Left, Right... Oh Shiny!

When you have an 8-year-old sister with Asperger's syndrome and a 5-year-old sister with Down syndrome, you don't get a lot of your mom's blog-time. It's not that she doesn't love you... no - it's because you're easy and you don't do bat-s*** crazy stuff that requires your mom to vent about you regularly!

My son takes after me... he's not going to "tower over" many people ever... unless they're like... 6.   
At least he's taller than me - which isn't saying much since I'm 5'0".

My oldest kiddo, Broadway, turned 17 on St. Patrick's Day this year. Yeah, yeah. I know what you're thinking. "You don't look old enough to have a 17-year-old!"

(Hey - a girl can dream, right?) Honestly, when people say "They grow up so fast," it's that feeling and more for me. I mean, wasn't I 17, like... a couple months ago? But no. I had this kid when I was 26.  *sigh*

Today Broadway competed in the Regional JrROTC Drill Team Competition. Normally I don't get to go to these kinds of things as a result of the ever-present Thing 1 and Thing 2.


My husband works a rotating shift which means he works every other weekend. That's when Murphy's Law kicks in to ensure that every special event ever planned will fall on one of the weekends he is working. Just the thought of going to some giant high school miles from home with my camera and my two adorable but very energetic "things" results in an immediate rise in my blood pressure.

Can't you see me up in the bleachers trying to focus for the perfect shot just as Iraq screeches "Quit copying me!" at The Skink, sending The Skink scurrying through the crowded bleachers in search of cover? Then there are The Skink's requests to "Go potty?" ever 10 minutes and Iraq's tendency to wander off toward something of interest any time I'm not looking directly at her.

It breaks my heart to miss special events, but my mom-capabilities only extend so far.

Today was my lucky day! Even though my Mom was out of town and unable to come help out, my Dad kindly (and bravely) volunteered for the job! Since Broadway had to be at the host school at o' dark-thirty this morning, Pop showed up to take him so I could take my time getting the girls up, dressed, fed, changed, lost shoe found, cleaned up, brushed, glasses located, into the car, back in the house to change a diaper, back into the car, back into the house to get a forgotten cup... you get the idea.

When the girls and I finally got there, we mounted the bleachers to watch for a little bit. The girls were actually rather interested in the activities of the teams performing below. The Skink clapped for everybody... like the guy who turned the wrong way and steam-rolled over a team member. (It's OK - it wasn't our team.) When each team marched to the exit, The Skink's little voice would rise up to say, "Bye-bye marchers!" to the amusement of the people around us.


It was fun in an exhaustively vigilant kind of way. I didn't have to worry about missing my daily cardio workout after the 34th trip back up to the top row of the bleachers... Skinks have to potty a lot. And during potty-training you just don't say, "No!"

So when I was good and tired, Iraq had wandered off / disappeared for the 4th time and it had become evident Broadway would not be competing for a while, I took the girls outside to play in the highway grass in front of the school. Translation: After my workout on the stair-stepper, I got a good run in, too! Pop divided his time between watching the other competitors and helping me chase the girls about.

Around noon the judges disappeared, so I hauled the kids out to the car (weight training) and made a happy-meal run. Instead of letting them eat it in the car, we hauled it back up to the top of the bleachers where I told them to eat niiiiiiiiiiicccce and slllllllllllloooooowwwwwwww in an attempt to buy a little more time (and sanity).


The pictures aren't great quality. I had some idea of what the day would hold for us so there was no WAY I was bringing my new camera! I'm glad after seeing what my old camera went through in the course of the day!

So we waited...  and waited... and waited... Turns out Broadway's team was the last team to compete. Dang it, Mr. Murphy! I don't know who the heck you are or how the he11 you got your law passed, but you are not getting any gold stars from me today!


There was a team from another school... ok - there were teams from a LOT of other schools, but there was this one team... this one really scary-good team. Holy cow! They looked like some sort of SWAT team, there to take out the rest of the competition. They made us really nervous!


 And FINALLY... Finally Broadway's team was on deck and set to go!




And that's when Murphy apparently pinched The Skink who had decided she had had enough!

"NOOOOOOOOOoooo! Outside! Go play OUTSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!"

And you know what Pop did? After getting up at a ridiculously early time in the morning, driving Broadway to the host school and helping me wrangle Thing 1 and Thing 2 for hours on end... Pop took The Skink by the hand and took her outside to play so I could watch my son compete!

The good news is that Pop STILL got to see Broadway's team's performance, because MOM got the whole thing on video! When they line up in a straight line facing the camera, MY kid is the 3rd one from the left... the somewhat vertically challenged one  :o) 



And you know what else?

My son's team took 1st Place!  

  Enjoy this blog? Let me know by voting on TopMommyBlogs! 
Follow the link and scroll down until you find Adasperdown Town.
*

4 comments:

  1. The short (no pun intended) response:

    WIN!

    Also: Damn, woman, you are REALLY shaping up. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved watching that! And I clapped afterward when I read that they won! OMG. That's super exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic reward for a LONG day!!!

    Congratulations to all - Broadway and his team, you and your dad, and the girls :)

    'Lucy'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Broadway! Hurray! It sounds like a busy day for you, but I'm glad to hear that it went well! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to say something! I'd love to hear from you.